[alsa-devel] [RFC] Channel mapping API

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Aug 21 19:57:56 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 07:09:32PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> The API itself doesn't restrict the boolean -- it's a control element
> after all.

The in kernel API takes a boolean as an argument for reporting values.

> The reason for ctljack API was stated many times: it came because of
> shortcomings of the jack API regarding the multiple items.  For
> example, when multiple pins with the same type exist (e.g. typical for
> HD-audio), no standard way to resolve that.  Or, if multiple cards
> provide the same name of jacks, we don't know which device is for
> which card.

Both of these things are totally orthogonal to the problem here - it's
the separate in kernel API that's causing issues (and TBH neither issue
is a big one for the ABI, if we'd discussed them we'd be fine) since
drivers need to support them all.  If all the ABIs sat behind a single
API in the kernel we'd not have any confusion here, userspace could just
pick what amuses it.

> But, it's basically irrelevant with the channel map API discussion.

Yeah, some drift here.