[alsa-devel] [RFC] Channel mapping API

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Aug 21 19:11:35 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 07:05:24PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> Mark Brown wrote:

> >  The idea was
> > purely to punt the description of the outputs attached to the stream to
> > somewhere we already need to use to describe the outputs rather than
> > having to map the two formats together.

> Yeah, passing more info is fine.  But if it isn't compatible, it
> doesn't have to be the same controller elements as channel map.
> Or, we may put a flag in the query TLV to indicate it's not standard,
> etc...

So, I guess a lot of my concern here is that this is in line with what
we're doing for control names and obviously that information is basic to
the point of being unhelpful for any non-trivial hardware.  If we're
adding something I'd rather it were able to cope with the complicated
cases too; multi-channel audio is a big deal with embedded things but
usually not for 5.1.