[alsa-devel] [RFC] Channel mapping API

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue Aug 21 13:44:15 CEST 2012

David Henningsson wrote:
> 5) I'm not sure I'm getting the _VAR and _PAIRED types, even though
> I read the documentation. Is this for the query only?

AFAIU this types appear only in the TLV, which is read only.  The TLV
documents what channel configurations are possible, while the current
configuration is read/changed through the control value, which is
a plain array of integers, one for each channel, without headers.

So _VAR implies that the control's value can be set to any permutation
of the channels in the TLV.

Regards,
Clemens