[alsa-devel] Can module snd-aloop (virtual looback device) be made clock slave of a real audio device ?

Jaroslav Kysela perex at perex.cz
Tue Aug 21 10:55:46 CEST 2012

Date 21.8.2012 10:28, James Warden wrote:

> [...]

No, it isn't, it's marked as a part of the PCM API, not mixer API. This
control was introduced to set the drift programatically.

> 2- The range of this control is 80%-120%. Do I understand that it is a constant ? Once set, it just stays there ?

This value can be changed (corrected) at any time.

> 3- How would I know which value I would have to set anyway ?

alsaloop measures the frequency from the real hardware and computes the
actual drift which is passed to snd-aloop. The drift is handled all
times (it's not just one shot measure).

> 4- something a bit orthogonal: my main card is a Hammerfall HDSP + Multiface II.
> The access mode is MAP_NONINTERLEAVED according to the hw_params. This prevents me from e.g. combining this card and the virtual loopback into one (not that I want to do that in the end but I was experimenting with the merge plugin at some point in the past) because the access mode is MAP_INTERLEAVED for snd-aloop. This also prevents the alsaloop utility from being used like in this example:
>
> alsaloop -C hw:Loopback,1,0 -P hw:DSP
>
> This fires up OK, but then when I try to play something on hw:Loopback,0,0, alsaloop gives up with an error message regarding the stream format being wrong or the like (I am not sitting at home now, so I can't say preceisely).

Use the plughw:DSP device which does the conversions.

							Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex at perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer