[alsa-devel] [RFC] ASoC: snd_soc_jack for HDMI audio: does it make sense?

Tomi Valkeinen tomi.valkeinen at ti.com
Tue Aug 21 08:01:07 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-20 at 20:47 -0500, Ricardo Neri wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have been working on prototypes for the ASoC OMAP HDMI audio driver to
> propagate events from the HDMI output (e.g., display getting
> enabled/disabled/suspended). This for the users of the driver to react
> to such events. For instance, if the display is disabled or disconected,
> audio could be stopped, rerouted or whatever other decision the user
> makes. This is needed because, if, for instance, the  HDMI IP goes off,
> audio will stall and the audio users will only see a "playback write
> error (DMA or IRQ trouble?)"
>
> In my prototypes I have used snd_soc_jack for this purpose and I have
> some questions:
>
> *I see snd_soc_jack is used mostly for headsets and microphones with
> actual external mechanical connections. Strictly, in my case I propagate
> events originated by the OMAP display driver (changes in the power
> state), and not from external events. Some of these events are generated
> from an actual HDMI cable connection/disconnection, though.
>
> *Maybe the event should be propagated by omapdss/omapdrm/drm and the
> entity in charge of the audio policy should listen those events instead.
>
> *I do see SND_JACK_VIDEOOUT and SND_JACK_AVOUT types so maybe it is
> feasible for an audio driver to report events from an AV output.
>
> I was wondering about how much sense does it make to you guys use a
> snd_soc_jack in this case?

How does DRM handle audio? I made a quick grep, but I see the drm
drivers only enabling the audio in the HW, nothing else.

If there's a common generic way to handle this, we should obviously use
that. But if we need to choose between doing something custom or doing
it in omapdrm driver, I think we should go for drm the only solution and
forget about audio with omapfb.

 Tomi