[alsa-devel] Plumbers: Please split audio topics into separate sessions

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Aug 7 08:41:51 CEST 2012

(Answer to both of you)

On 08/07/2012 07:58 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 6 Aug 2012 23:24:17 +0100,
> Mark Brown wrote:

>>> Judging from our last experience, where we had a two-hour session on
>>> Sunday and then had to reschedule on Wednesday for two more hours, and
>>> yet had to cancel the topic I was about to introduce, because everybody
>>> was tired (and waiting for lunch), I certainly beg to differ!
>>
>> Hrm?  Was this Plumbers or the BoF in Prague last year?

The BoF in Prague.

>> On the other hand if we don't have much concrete to discuss then it can
>> end up being too long.
>>
>> I guess this is one of the concerns I have with having lots of sessions
>> - it means we've split topics up and have less play to manage time
>> overall, it means we either cover less or take more time.  The
>> flexibility for attendees is good, though - have to see how the
>> tradeoffs work.

I'm not sure I follow, but if you're worried that you will miss sessions
of other tracks, mark yourself as "Participation essential" do the
blueprints, and the scheduler will try to not schedule them in parallel.

> My initial idea is to kick off discussions in the sessions, then
> continue at BoF or whatever if not finished in time.  This is often
> more fruitful than too lengthy discussions.  You can cool down and
> reconsider the idea.

If we're going to have spill-over sessions, I think they will need to be
more formalised than "BoF or whatever". Otherwise people might not show
up (due to having to attend other sessions, for example).

>>> Also all of the 45 minutes is not effective discussion/presentation
>>> time: Assume that we first wait 5 minutes for all people to appear, then
>>> we have 5 minutes presentation and 15 - 20 minutes discussion for the
>>> first topic, then 5 minutes are spent fiddling with the projector to
>>> show the slides for the second topic...and suddenly there is just a few
>>> minutes left for discussion of the second topic.
>>
>> This is a bit of a concern, yes.
>
> Yeah, but we should apply a strict rule in such a case.
> The preparation must be done before the session.  If not, the topic
> should be started without the video.

With only 5 minutes between sessions, there is no time to do
preparations (i e checking the projector and stuff).

 > Also, the topic is cut strictly in time.

Maybe it will work if we at the time of overrun stop discussion, and
instead only reply with SND_PCM_STATE_XRUN ;-)

>>> Also; we fly across half the world to get there, to spend just a few
>>> minutes talking? Better have some margins. Maybe some session will end
>>> early, but will it hurt? No. If we miss a topic, or have to cut it short
>>> without a conclusion, will it hurt? Yes.
>>
>> Perhaps the best thing is to have an additional session for overrun
>> rather than plan on everything being 45 minutes long?
>
> As mentioned, we have already one additional slot, currently planned
> for my channel-mapping API topic.  I can shorten the topic and the
> almost whole slot can be used for other discussions.

Since I don't seem to get understanding for the need to have 45 min
sessions per topic, which I still believe would be the best option, can
we split the channel-mapping API topic with a new topic - "simplifying
volume set/get on startup and shutdown"?

> And, if needed, we can ask for a slot/room for BoF beforehand in
> addition.

Can we ensure that the required participants make it to that slot/room then?

Also we need to make sure that the spill-over slot(s) happens *after*
the other sessions. Right now the session you say can be used for
spill-over sessions (channel-mapping API topic), is scheduled before the
actual sessions that can spill over.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic