[alsa-devel] Gitcompile for Kernel 3.2?

Brand, Mark (Mr) (Summerstrand Campus South) Mark.Brand at nmmu.ac.za
Sun Aug 5 15:25:18 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Having cloned alsa-driver and alsa-kmirror, my gitcompile and sudo make install-modules goes smoothly.  However, the modules won't load.  First errors in dmesg are:
[   24.415466] snd_hwdep: disagrees about version of symbol snd_info_register
[   24.415475] snd_hwdep: Unknown symbol snd_info_register (err -22)
[   24.415489] snd_hwdep: disagrees about version of symbol snd_info_create_module_entry
[   24.415495] snd_hwdep: Unknown symbol snd_info_create_module_entry (err -22)
... and so on.  My initial assumption is that kmirror is specific to a 2.6 kernel, while I'm running 3.2, though some of what I've read seems to contradict this.  I've tried foregoing kmirror for a full 3.2 kernel source, but that failed on gitcompile.  I also tried with kmirror on a 2.6 kernel, but those modules also failed to load.  I initially thought my problems stemmed from trying to do this against a lowlatency kernel, but I've subsequently had the same against vanilla Ubuntu kernels.  Would someone kindly point me in the right direction?
* Is it possible to compile and load a subset of alsa modules without having full kernel sources on hand?
* If so, is this restricted to particular kernels (docs seem to suggest 2.6, 3.0 and 3.2 are supported)?
* If not, is alsa-driver expected to compile against 3.2 sources as is (mine fails on some of the patching - presumably the make dep step)?
* Does the alsa-driver.new.git merge address this, or is development expected to take place in a 2.6 environment?

Sorry if any or all of this is incoherent (please help me to clarify), but any pointers would be greatly appreciated.  What might be pertinent: Ubuntu 12.04 (kernels 3.2.0 and 2.6.38 tested), gcc 4.6.3, anything else?  I am attempting to add device support for a multi-port MIDI interface.  I managed to get a working prototype running a year ago, but had to shelve the project due to work pressures.  I'd really love to get it back up and submitted.

Kind regards,
Mark Brand.