[alsa-devel] [snd-usb-audio] frequent "delay: estimated xxx, actual yyy" messages

Guillaume Clement gclement at baobob.org
Wed Apr 25 20:06:57 CEST 2012

Le mardi 24 avril 2012 15:59:15 vous avez écrit :
> Guillaume Clement wrote:
> > Could the delay not be the cause, but a side effect ?
>
> Yes, that's probable.  It might be possible that some interrupt got
> delayed too much, or that packets were completed in wrong order.

I've noticed that using the touchpad triggers the issues, even in console mode
when I don't start X. Some other factors seem to trigger it, like some
graphical operations or hard disk usage (but again, only when the CPU is low
usage).

I forgot to mention that my integrated soundcard does not have this issue. I
deactivated the integrated soundcard  in the BIOS and that didn't help.

> > Do you have any idea why keeping my CPU busy removes the problem ?
>
> I'd guess that an idle CPU needs a longer time to wake up.
> What CPU and what CPU frequency governor are you using?

On my laptop, I've got an Atom Z520 @ 1.33GHz. I was using the ondemand
governor. I switched to performance, with no effect.

I tried to disable as many modules as possible (even my graphics card, wifi,
touchscreen) with no luck so far.

I tried again on several of my other computers and I could not reproduce the
problem, even on another netbook. It's quite weird becaues I thought I
reproduced it with several hardware back in December, but I guess I was
mistaken, sorry about that.