[alsa-devel] Required/preferred multichannel order for ALSA

Ricardo Neri ricardo.neri at ti.com
Thu Apr 26 23:33:57 CEST 2012

Hi Takashi, list,

I am implementing multichannel support for HDMI on Texas Instruments'
OMAP4. I would like to know if ALSA mandates a specific channel order or
has a preferred one.

I tried to find some guidance in alsa-lib or in the alsa driver. All I
could find is the order described in speaker-test:
FL/FR/RL/RR/C/LFE/SL/SR. This order seems to be in use due to historical
reasons [1]. It was also mentioned that an API to set/get the channel
mapping was going to be implemented [2]; I tried to find it without
success. As [1] and [2] are very old posts, I was wondering if the
situation has changed.

My question arises from the fact that HDMI audio uses the channel
ordering defined in CEA-861 section 6.6.2, which is different from what
speaker-test expects. This also different from the order that SMPTE 320M
specifies. OMAP4 is able to alter the channel mapping, so I could match
what ALSA expects if such required/preferred order exists.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Ricardo

[1].http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg24444.html
[2].http://www.spinics.net/lists/alsa-devel/msg24495.html