[alsa-devel] Logical device name for 4-channel microphones?

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Apr 24 16:09:39 CEST 2012

At Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:08:45 +0200,
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > My problem is that I'd like to make Pulseaudio handle 4-channel webcam
> > microphones[2], but I'm not aware of any input device names for
> > 4-channel devices. Are there such device names?
>
> These device name are useful only for device types that are generic
> enough.  Four-channel microphones aren't.

Hm, we have already surround51 or such specific one, so it's not too
bad to have a definition for multi-channel mics.  OTOH, surround51 &
co were the possible cause of confusions, as there are way too many
surround types.  A generic type with the channels argument might be
more generic?

In anyway, I think it's fine to define some new generic name.