[alsa-devel] No sound on Quanta KN1 with kernel 3.4

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Wed Apr 18 10:05:31 CEST 2012

At Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:25:01 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> At Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:56:09 +0200,
> Uros Vampl wrote:
> >
> > On 16.04.12 16:07, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > > Could you try the patch below?
> > >
> > > Also, which output is missing?  Is it a speaker output or a line-out
> > > jack?  Basically it's a bug of BIOS that doesn't give the proper
> > > association number for the corresponding pin 0x0f.  The patch is just
> > > to make less restrictive.
> > >
> > > But, if it's a laptop, the corresponding pin is likely a speaker
> > > output, so it'd be better to fix the pin-default value itself via
> > > pinfix table.
> >

> > It's a laptop. There's no sound, not from internal speakers, not from
> > headphone out. There is a mild crackling sound when the module is
> > loaded, but that's it. The patch does not change things.
>
> OK, I'll send another patch tomorrow.  But the previous patch should
> work, still.  Make sure that you adjusted and unmuted the mixer
> elements after applying the patch.  There should be some new mixer
> elements.
>
> If it still doesn't work after the mixer adjustment, give alsa-info.sh
> output again.

Also, there are many bogus input pins on your device.
Which physical inputs are on the machine?  BIOS advertises that there
are front-mic, rear-mic, line-in, aux-in and CD.  Do all these work
properly?  You can choose it from "Input Source" mixer enum.

Also, it also advertises SPDIF input and output.  Are really both on
your machine?