[alsa-devel] Thinkpad hda regression in 3.3

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Fri Apr 13 16:13:53 CEST 2012

At Fri, 13 Apr 2012 10:05:49 -0400,
Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:41:53PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Fri, 13 Apr 2012 09:37:21 -0400,
> > Josh Boyer wrote:
> > Thanks.  As mentionted, the difference between two setups (sent in two
> > posts) is seen in the mixer setup.  I personally don't mind which
> > setup is taken; it's rather a choice of users.  So, let me know which
> > setup is preferred by testers.
>
> You're referring to the inclusion of pin 0x19 or not here, right?

Yes.

> > The reason behind such multiple setups is that the codec chip has only
> > two DACs while you want to access for three or more outputs (two
> > headphones, one speaker, etc).  Thus some outputs must share the same
> > DAC.
>
> I'm guessing when someone undocks the pins are reconfigured back to the
> jacks on the laptop itself somehow?

No, the configuration must be determined at the driver initialization
time.  So, the mixer elements stay unchanged with or without dock.
(For example, if the mixer elements were to change upon the
 dock/undock, this would be really confusing both for users and apps.
 In theory, it's possible to implement like that, but no one wants
 it.)

The jack-detection on the docking station works, yes, i.e. the
auto-muting or the mic changing works.  But it's different from
changing the configuration on the hotplug of docking station itself.