[alsa-devel] snd-usb-audio probe problem (Teac UD-H01)

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Apr 2 10:12:05 CEST 2012

bEN wrote:
> the new USB DAC from Teac seems detected as 'Human Interface Device'
> instead of 'Audio'.

It has both HID and audio interfaces.

> Despite the fact it is based on a standard USB Audio
> class v2 controller (Tenor 8802).

Which doesn't prevent Teac from writing buggy firmware.

> $ dmesg
> usb 2-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
> usb 2-4: config 1 has an invalid interface number: 3 but max is 2
> usb 2-4: config 1 has no interface number 1

This violates the USB spec.  But I guess it shouldn't prevent the driver
from attaching to the device.

> Audio class v2 interfaces need an interface association

This looks like a bug in the driver; there certainly is such
an descriptor.  Daniel?

Regards,
Clemens
--
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0644:8038 TEAC Corp.
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.00
  bDeviceClass          239 Miscellaneous Device
  bDeviceSubClass         2 ?
  bDeviceProtocol         1 Interface Association
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x0644 TEAC Corp.
  idProduct          0x8038
  bcdDevice            0.03
  iManufacturer           1
  iProduct                2
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          220
    bNumInterfaces          3
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType        33
          bcdHID               1.00
          bCountryCode            0 Not supported
          bNumDescriptors         1
          bDescriptorType        34 Report
          wDescriptorLength      26
         Report Descriptors:
           ** UNAVAILABLE **
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            3
          Transfer Type            Interrupt
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
        bInterval               6
    Interface Association:
      bLength                 8
      bDescriptorType        11
      bFirstInterface         2
      bInterfaceCount         2
      bFunctionClass          1 Audio
      bFunctionSubClass       0
      bFunctionProtocol      32
      iFunction               4
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        2
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      bInterfaceSubClass      1 Control Device
      bInterfaceProtocol     32
      iInterface              4
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      1 (HEADER)
        bcdADC               2.00
        wTotalLength        13834
        bInCollection           0
        junk at descriptor end: 00
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 8
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype     10 (unknown)
        Invalid desc subtype: 0c 07 07 00 00
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 8
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype     10 (unknown)
        Invalid desc subtype: 0d 07 07 00 00
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                17
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
        bTerminalID             4
        wTerminalType      0x0101 USB Streaming
        bAssocTerminal          0
        bNrChannels            12
        wChannelConfig     0x0302
          Right Front (R)
          Surround (S)
          Side Left (SL)
        iChannelNames           0
        iTerminal               0
        junk at descriptor end: 00 00 00 00 00
      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                12
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      3 (OUTPUT_TERMINAL)
        bTerminalID             3
        wTerminalType      0x0605 SPDIF interface
        bAssocTerminal          0
        bSourceID               4
        iTerminal              12
        junk at descriptor end: 00 00 00
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           0
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol     32
      iInterface              0
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol     32
      iInterface              0
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                16
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
        bTerminalLink           4
        bDelay                  0 frames
        wFormatTag            257 undefined
        junk at descriptor end: 00 00 00 02 03 00 00 00 00
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 6
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
      Warning: Descriptor too short
        bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
      Warning: Descriptor too short
        bNrChannels             2
        bSubframeSize          16
        bBitResolution          0
        bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
        tLowerSamFreq          81
        tUpperSamFreq           0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0068  1x 104 bytes
        bInterval               1
        AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 8
          bDescriptorType        37
          bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
          bmAttributes         0x00
          bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
          wLockDelay            514 Undefined
        junk at descriptor end: 00
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        bmAttributes           17
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Feedback
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval               4
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bAlternateSetting       2
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         1 Audio
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Streaming
      bInterfaceProtocol     32
      iInterface              0
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                16
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      1 (AS_GENERAL)
        bTerminalLink           4
        bDelay                  0 frames
        wFormatTag            257 undefined
        junk at descriptor end: 00 00 00 02 03 00 00 00 00
      AudioStreaming Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                 6
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      2 (FORMAT_TYPE)
      Warning: Descriptor too short
        bFormatType             1 (FORMAT_TYPE_I)
      Warning: Descriptor too short
        bNrChannels             3
        bSubframeSize          24
        bBitResolution          0
        bSamFreqType            0 Continuous
        tLowerSamFreq          81
        tUpperSamFreq           0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
        bmAttributes            5
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               Asynchronous
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x009c  1x 156 bytes
        bInterval               1
        AudioControl Endpoint Descriptor:
          bLength                 8
          bDescriptorType        37
          bDescriptorSubtype      1 (EP_GENERAL)
          bmAttributes         0x00
          bLockDelayUnits         0 Undefined
          wLockDelay            514 Undefined
        junk at descriptor end: 00
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
        bmAttributes           17
          Transfer Type            Isochronous
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Feedback
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
        bInterval               4
can't get device qualifier: Operation not permitted
can't get debug descriptor: Operation not permitted
cannot read device status, Operation not permitted (1)