[alsa-devel] dmix problems with analog out (HDMI out works fine with dmix)

Robert Krakora rob.krakora at messagenetsystems.com
Wed Sep 28 18:29:05 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I am using ALSA 1.0.24 with the attached asound.conf.  I am attempting to
share (mix) the analog output between Asterisk and aplay.  However, when
Asterisk is running, my application throws an error when attempting to play
a wave file via aplay.  If I stop Asterisk, aplay plays the wave file just
fine.  If I remove the asound.conf file, Asterisk and aplay are both happy
and share the analog output just find with the default ALSA dmix
implementation.  However, we need this asound.conf to work for us for other
reasons.  What is wrong with it.  I have even tried replacing dmix with
dshare and get the same bad behavior.  We are running CentOS 6.0.  As a
caveat, I am attempting to use dmix with analog audio.  If I use it with
HDMI audio, it works flawlessly (same asound.conf with tweek to specify
HDMI).  Thanks in advance for your help.

[root at devkrakorar snd]# su silentm -c "aplay -Dplug:dmixer
/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_
Center.wav"
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1293:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open '/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p' failed
(-22): Invalid argument

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1068:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:660: audio open error: Invalid argument
[root at devkrakorar snd]#

Best Regards,

--
Rob Krakora