[alsa-devel] UCM and modem configurations

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Tue Sep 27 23:47:31 CEST 2011

I've had a couple of questions internally on UCM and can't figure out
how things would work with a cellular modem configured through AT
commands (eg Intel/IFX XGOLD).
For example UCM could be used to set the volumes and routing for a voice
call, but to modify the acoustics processing on the modem one would
still need to send a bunch of AT commands . So what's the best way to
handle this case:
- Is UCM only supposed to be used for non-cellular cases?
- Do we need to wrap all the AT commands as ALSA controls?
- Is there a way to abstract such commands with some UCM syntax?
- Or do we need to implement another layer to abstract ALSA and AT
commands (which essentially means using UCM concepts but not the UCM
tools and configuration files)?
Thanks for your feedback