[alsa-devel] [patch][saa7134] do not change mute state for capturing audio

Stas Sergeev stsp at list.ru
Sat Sep 24 13:12:28 CEST 2011

24.09.2011 14:57, Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Please, one patch per email. Patchwork (or any kernel maintainer script)
> won't catch more than one patch per email. See:
Sorry about that.

> With respect to this patch:
> http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7941/
>
> I don't see any sense on it. Video standard selection is done by software,
> when a standards mask is passed via VIDIOC_S_STD ioctl. Drivers should not
> mess it with modprobe hacks.
Yes, but we already have "secam=" option, and
also the first scan, that is being done on driver
init, scans too much without that option, and
sometimes, unfortunately, detects the PAL carrier
for me.
By limiting it to secam, I avoid the problem and
shorten the scan time.
But this patch is not very important, so do whatever
you think necessary with it.

> I'll comment later http://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7940/. It seems to be
> going into the right direction, but I need to take a deeper code inspection
> and maybe do some tests here.
Thanks!
Of course, in my view, the _only_ right direction is
to export the mute control to the alsa mixer and then
fix mplayer. But at least I'm glad I've managed to
find the hack that satisfies your opinion and works
around the problem at the same time.