[alsa-devel] link between HDMI ELD and PCM devices

Pierre-Louis Bossart pierre-louis.bossart at linux.intel.com
Wed Sep 21 02:58:30 CEST 2011

> > There is some existing code such as pin_nid_to_pin_index() in
> > patch_hdmi.c, but I can't figure out what this pin_idx is, and how to
> > find the related PCM device number.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> That function simply returns the index into the array spec->pins[] that
> refers to that pin NID.
>
> Judging by hinfo_to_pin_index() (e.g. used near the start ofhdmi_pcm_open),
> that same index is valid  for spec->pcm_rec[] too, which I assume will
> give you access to what you want, possibly through the .stream[0] field.

Looks like the device number is assigned in hda_codec.c and there's no
hooks to create the ELD control then...
Instead of creating a PCM_IFACE control, it's probably simpler to create
a MIXER control in the build_pcms routines, using the same name for the
control and the device, eg:

>amixer -c0 controls
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='ELD HDMI 0'
>aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

That looks simple enough for apps to figure out which ELD control to
use? Feedback welcome.
-Pierre