[alsa-devel] OSS emulation and hardware configuration

Mike Crowe drmikecrowe at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 18:27:05 CEST 2011

Mark,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> It calls hw_params() repeatedly.

I have debug statements in core/oss/pcm_oss.c and in
soc/codecs/wm8990.c.  When I use ALSA to play a sound, I see the
wm8990 debug statements.  However, when the OSS application changes
the rate in snd_pcm_oss_set_rate(), I never see the wm8990 debug
statements for the different rate.

> Hrm.  The WM8990 has been supported in mainline for a considerable time,
> unless you're using an exceptionally old kernel you really use the
> driver.

This is using the wm8990 driver, but with a custom hardware interface
(so we did have to write custom I2S drivers to get to the codec).

> It should go through the ASoC core; it's possible that you've not
> hooked things up properly there.

Very possible.  Based on Sean's reply, I may want to disable OSS
emulation and look at a userspace solution.

Mike