[alsa-devel] problem with RME DSP MADI, kernel 2.6.38 and hdspmixer from git

Adrian Knoth adi at drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Fri Sep 9 23:25:20 CEST 2011

On 09/09/11 18:17, Maarten de Boer wrote:

> Hi all,

Hi!

>  * When I loaded the snd-hdspm driver, I got an error:
>
> HSDPM: unknown firmware revision cd
>
> I added this firmware id (205) to hdspm.c, and this solved the
> problem. However, I was wondering if maybe I should upgrade the
> firmware? What firmware is recommended? In any case, it might be good
> to add 205 to the hdspm.c in git.

I recently got a list of revision IDs. Since there is no public
changelog about firmware changes between those revisions, only RME can
give sane recommendations. And I guess it defaults to "newest". ;)

>  * aplay without parameters cuts off the sounds

Is that new to this driver revision or has this always been the case?

>  * hdspmixer is now working without modification, but I get the
>  impression it does set up more routing than what I can control in the
>  interface, specifically concerning the analog output:

This is clearly a bug. The code in HDSPMixerCard.cxx says

            channels_input = channels_playback = 64;
            channels_output = channels_input; /* SS headphones missing,
at least HDSPe MADI has some, MADIface hasn't */

You could set channels_output to 66. You might need to change
HDSP_MAX_CHANNELS to 66, but try HDSP_MAX_DEST to 33 in defines.h,
first. (changing HDSP_MAX_CHANNELS has some more implications)

Then, change dest_map_unity[32] to dest_map_unity[HDSP_MAX_DEST] in
channelmap.h and the same in channelmap.cxx. Then, add the missing
channel number. Which one to choose? No idea. Try 64. If it's the wrong
on, try every even number up to 128.

Since I never had a MADI card, I don't know for sure. If you're not
afraid of hacking a bit on hdspmixer, I'd value your contribution.

Cheers