[alsa-devel] ASoC audio fabric OF bindings RFC. was: Re: ASoC MPC5xxx PSC AC97 audio driver

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Fri Sep 9 18:37:14 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 12:02:16PM +0200, David Jander wrote:

> Ok, I actually spent a while thinking about this. What about the following
> idea:

*Always* CC maintainers.

> 1: By adding compatible = "alsa,cpu-dai", this DAI is marked for binding.

This isn't really something that should go into device tree, ALSA is a
Linux specific concept.

> 3: Many ac97 codecs are compatible with the generic codec driver "ac97-codec".

All should be.  The only reason for specific drivers is to enable
additional non-standard functionality.

> 4: Don't know if this is the right way to work the codec DAI name in. See the
> next note:

What we should really be doing here is to autodiscover by reading the ID
registers in the device.  That needs generic AC'97 bus work which we
don't have right now.