[alsa-devel] Help With Getting Line-in monitoring working

Kevin Atkinson kevina at gnu.org
Mon Sep 5 09:28:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

I need some help getting my cards line-in monitoring working.  That is
analog pass-through from line-in to headphone out.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with Linux kernel Linux Intel 2.6.38-10 (Ubuntu
package).  I am using on-board audio with HDA-Intel with the Realtek ALC892
codec.

With the stock Ubuntu kernel (lets call this setup "stable") I can't get
line-in monitoring working (note however I can record from line in, I just
can't get the analog pass-through working).  However, when I install the
latest ALSA drivers (lets call this setup "soso") (recompiled a source
package from the Ubuntu-audio-dev ppa, head 7c48f32b). I can get Line-in
monitoring but the mixer controls are all mixed up.  The Line-in control
controls the Line-in volume, but the master control has no effect.  Also,
the PCM control has no effect on PCM volume and the front control
controls the output to the headphone but in order to mute the headphone
I still need to use the headphone mute.  The mixer work correctly with the
stable setup.

Thus I am lead to the conclusion that the latest ALSA drivers are doing
something right with line-in but getting a lot of other things wrong.

Attached is the alsa-info output of both setups.

Please give me some guidance on how to debug this problem.  For example
what is the newer code doing that the old code is not that gets line-in
monitoring working but gets a lot of the other mixer setups wrong.   I
assume it is just a matter of "hooking up" the line in to the headphone
out, and all that is needed is the right verb, but I am at a complete lost
to what verb that is.

If there is some specific version of the ALSA drivers I should try please
let me know.  If the Ubuntu kernel is causing a problem I am willing to
install a stock kernel, but I rather not unless absolutely necessary.