[alsa-devel] A debug version of the ALSA lib?

Pavel Hofman pavel.hofman at ivitera.com
Fri Sep 2 14:26:03 CEST 2011

Dne 2.9.2011 14:10, Olivier Guillion - Myriad napsal(a):
> Hi,

>>> That means that Ubuntu (as many other distros) offers you a
>>> ready-made, debug symbols enabled version of the library which you can
>>> just install and use. As you're struggeling with compiling the library
>>> youself, I'd suggest you go for this solution. In Ubuntu, the package
>>> you're looking for is called libasound2-dev.
>>
>> I have not followed the thread, but if you want debugging symbol you
>> need `libasound2-dbg`. (`aptitude search libasound*`)
>
> I installed the libasound2-dev package.
> I got mainly :
> - a bunch of C header files in /usr/include
> - libasound.a, libasound.la and libasound.so in /usr/lib
> (none of these libraries include the debugging symbols)
>
> I tried "aptitude search libasound*"
> and got:
> libasound-dev
> libasound2
> libasound2-dev
> libasound2-doc
> libasound2-plugin-equal
> libasound2-plugins
>
> but no libasound2-dbg.
> Any idea about where (and how) I can get it? (using Ubuntu 11.04)

Yes, use the procedure I gave you in
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.devel/88753 . I used it a
few weeks ago to debug alsa-lib in gdb.

Just tested now, ubuntu 10.04:

sudo apt-get build-dep libasound2
apt-get source libasound2
cd alsa-lib-1.0.22/
export DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip,noopt
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -uc -us

Simple check while the compilation runs shows the gcc compiler is called
with -g -O0 params.

In a few minutes fresh .debs were waiting for me in the parent
directory, to be installed with dpkg -i libasound*deb and stepped with gdb.

With regards,

Pavel.