[alsa-devel] ASoC DSP and related status

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Thu Sep 1 14:58:21 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 04:14:43PM -0700, Stephen Warren wrote:

> +------------+  (dai 1)  +--------------+  (dai 2)  +----------------+
> | Tegra I2S  |<--------->| AHUB (codec) |<--------->| WM8903 (codec) |
> +------------+           +--------------+           +----------------+

> I think I may have asked this before, but how would we represent that to
> ASoC; I don't think there's any way to squash both those two DAIs into a
> single snd_soc_dai_link structure, whereas I think I recall you saying
> that using two separate snd_soc_dai_links wouldn't really work; I'm not
> sure what we'd put in dai2's "platform" field, and IIRC the second DAI
> would end up instantiating extra PCM devices to user-space. Am I way off
> base here, or would be need to do some extra infra-structure work to get
> this all working?

More infrastructure is needed but we really need it anyway (it's the
same infrastructure as we need for baseband type links).  The DAI 2
platform would just be left empty as there's no DMA going on.

We should probably also make sure that there's a way we can configure
the Tegra-internal links without requiring every single board to do it
and then have the board only configure the DAI 2 links otherwise it'll
just get repetitive.