[alsa-devel] /dev/dsp open failure

Appalayagari Sreedhar sreecha01 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:37:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

I have developed a audio driver in ALSA model, the audio ic is
interfaced with the TI DM365 processor MCBSP ports. I am working with
the 2.6.32 kernel.

I am able to play the audio using the aplay command.  but when i try
to open the device using /dev/dsp i am getting the -ve value. it fails
to open the device.

when i check the

>> ls /dev/dsp

it is available in the device directory.

I have enabled the Sound OSS related options in the kernel menuconfig.
with the same options i am able to open the device for the tlv320aic3x
device.

Could anyone please suggest where i am doing wrong? and help to solve
this problem.

One more observation :

after doing aplay i am able to open the device using the /dev/dsp.

if try to open the device using the /dev/dsp before aplay i am getting
the error.

could you please tell me where i am doing.

-Sreedhar.