[alsa-devel] Driver for daisy-chained AD1938 audio codecs?

Steve Strobel steve.strobel3 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:04:44 CEST 2011

I am considering a Blackfin DSP hardware design which would need eight
channels of audio input/output. I haven't been able to find a single
audio codec with more than six input channels, so I am looking at
daisy-chaining AD1938 codecs as described on page 19 of its datasheet
[1].

In the past I worked on a prototype that used two AD1938 chips on
separate SPORT interfaces. It worked, but having to deal with two ALSA
sound devices made the software relatively complicated (error
recovery, synchronization, etc). It would be nice if all of the
channels appeared as a single ALSA device.  I believe that
daisy-chained AD1938 chips would work that way, but I haven't found an
ALSA driver for that configuration.
Does such a driver already exist?  Any suggestions for making one?
Thanks for any input.
Steve
[1] - http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD1938.pdf
--