[alsa-devel] Future of the HDA driver

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Oct 4 21:31:13 CEST 2011

At Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:27:34 +0200,
Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > 2) With Ubuntu 11.10 in a "Freeze" state and PulseAudio 1.0 out the
> > door, I might have some time to contribute to the HDA driver...at least
> > if not a lot of urgent stuff comes up, and up to the 3.2 merge window or
> > so. (Any idea how far away that would be?) Do you think it would make
> > sense to split hda_codec.c into hda_codec.c and hda_autoparser.c, move
> > snd_hda_parse_pin_defcfg there, then add more functions as discovered to
> > be useful to more than one autoparser?
>
> The merge window for 3.2 is almost closed now, as 3.1 will come out
> today or tomorrow, I suppose.  Such a big change as you suggested in
> the above is a 3.3-material, I suppose.

Looks like rc9 might be released before final, so we have still
a little bit of time left.  But I don't want too drastic change at
this moment, at least, for 3.2-merge.

Of course, I can keep any more radical changes in a devel branch and
merge back later once after 3.2 merge is closed.  That's why there are
master and for-next branches in sound git tree.  So, don't worry about
the schedule.  The patches won't be lost.