[alsa-devel] [RFC 2/3] ASoC: davinci-pcm: add cpu-dai health callbacks

Ben Gardiner bengardiner at nanometrics.ca
Tue Oct 4 04:05:45 CEST 2011

On Sun, Oct 2, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Mark Brown
<broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com> wrote:
> This looks like something we should be doing at the subsystem level, the
> DaVinci is far from unique in having the ability to detect errors at the
> DAI level.

Agreed; I started out with the intent to call DAI health ops from
snd_pcm_update_hw_ptr0() but I couldn't find may way to a cpudai
instance from the given substream. Any tips on this or a plan of
attack would be apreciated.

> Why do you prefer a fatal error, and how do you distinguish a fatal
> error from a glitch?

Our use of ALSA is such that in the rare case of either a glitch or a
hardware error we would prefer to fail fatally rather than ignore.
This is because we would like to guarantee that playback occurred
correctly or not at all.