[alsa-devel] Device tree support for WM8994 and WM9713.

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Wed Nov 23 11:28:15 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 11:33:53AM +0530, Vinod Koul wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 19:43 +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> > Looking at those they're going to need the regulator bindings for device
> > tree to do anything useful.  I'd expect that to go into 3.3 but it'll be
> > hassle propagating the binding bits.

> I have a question here, how does using DT to a codec (which can be used
> even on a system where there is no DT present) be generic and break the
> assumption that codec does not know anything about the system it
> operates in?
> This should be done for machine or cpu driver which know if system has
> DT or not?

When drivers implement device tree support this should be done in
addition to rather than instead of platform data support so other
platforms should not be affected.  A very common way of implementing
this is that the device tree parsing code translates the device tree
into a platform data structure and then the driver runs off a copy of
the platform data structure.