[alsa-devel] Problem with bluetooth headset and "aplay -l"

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Nov 11 16:01:31 CET 2011

Anders Gnistrup wrote:
> I have a wired problem.

Bluetooth is wireless.  :o)

> I can pair, and connect a bluetooth headset using bluez-simple-agent and bluez-test-audio, no problem.
> I kan also record and play using aplay/arecord -D bluetooth.
>
> But i can list the device in "aplay -l" og "aplay -L".
> My gees is that I am missing a ctl interface or a kernel module.

"aplay -l" lists kernel drivers, while "aplay -L" list devices for which
there is a name hint entry in the alsa-lib configuration files.

The bluetooth audio driver itself is not a kernel driver (it's a user
space plugin), and, apparently, its configuration file does not define
name hints.

Regards,
Clemens