[alsa-devel] OOPS: Vmaster not freed on reconfig

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Wed Nov 9 15:30:34 CET 2011

On 11/08/2011 05:36 PM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Tue, 08 Nov 2011 17:16:56 +0100,
> David Henningsson wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm playing around with the reconfig functions of snd-hda-codec and got
>> an OOPS in slave_put. I tried to research this, and I think I've nailed
>> down the problem: the vmaster is not freed on reconfig (presumably, it
>> should be fixed in hda_codec.c:snd_hda_ctls_clear).
>
> Hmm, I don't figure out how it happens.
> The vmaster is added to the list via snd_hda_add_vmaster() by calling
> snd_hda_ctl_add().

You're correct. It must be some other error.

>> I'm a little unsure of whether the best thing is to just add it to
>> codec.mixers, keep them in a separate array, or something else. What do
>> you think?
>>
>> (It's on 3.0, it's a sigmatel/IDT, and I've got the screen captured by a
>> camera if anyone is interested.)
>
> Yes, it'd be interesting.  If the bug is easily reproducible, you can
> capture the oops text by netconsole, too.

I haven't had the time to troubleshoot further yet (and thus I don't
know if it's reproducible), but at least I've uploaded the requested
information:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/888081/+attachment/2590781/+files/alsa-info.txt.ZE05tEjd8T

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/888081/+attachment/2590787/+files/DSC00007.JPG

(Sorry about the bad quality of that picture, I think most of it should
be readable at least)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic