[alsa-devel] Realtek ALC889: HDA Intel and kernel 3.1 gives choppy sound (again)

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue Nov 8 07:32:56 CET 2011

At Mon, 07 Nov 2011 23:45:40 +0100,
Colomban Wendling wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Back to 3.0, the sound on my soundcard [1] started to be choppy, I
> reported it [2] and it got fixed (thanks to Takashi Iwai!).
>
> However, the story repeated with 3.1 (and probably 3.0.8 or before [3]):
> I've got similar choppy sound again.
>
> I bisected the few commits that happened on
> sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c, and finally found the villain:
>
> "8974bd51 ALSA: hda/realtek - Fix auto-mute with HP+LO configuration"
>
> Reverting it from v3.1 fixes the problem.

Does it?  Very weird.  This patch has nothing to do with the HD-audio
controller side but purely a codec change.

> master (94956ee) also suffers of the problem, but I couldn't test
> without that commit because reverting it fails, too much changes happened.

Did you try to pass position_fix=1 (or 2) option?
Also, passing enable_msi=0 (or 1) may change anything?

In anyway, please give alsa-info.sh output again with the fresh
kernel.  Run it with --no-upload option and attach the output.

thanks,