[alsa-devel] Need general idea how to architect driver for multi-codec board

Caleb Crome caleb at crome.org
Thu May 26 23:23:03 CEST 2011

Hi Mark,
   You previously indicated that I can instantiate multiple tlv320aic33
drivers.  Can you please give me a clue how to do that?  I've been staring
at this for days, and I still don't really get how it's supposed to be done.

I tried adding the I2C devices, and it does get to the probe functions.
 However, when it comes to adding the mixer controls (SND_SOC_XXXX), it
fails because there are already controls with those names, like "Right PGA
Mixer" etc.  The alsa layer doesn't seem to allow multiple registrations of
the same control.  How do I give each instantiation a unique identifier?
 Since the tlv320aic33 has about 80 controls, I'm going to end up with over
600 controls in alsamixer.

Are there any examples in the world that show multiple codecs in the same
sound card that I can get a clue from?

Again, any help would be most welcome.

Thanks,
  -Caleb