[alsa-devel] HDA HDMI pin to converter mapping

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Thu May 26 08:56:25 CEST 2011

At Wed, 25 May 2011 11:29:35 -0700,
Stephen Warren wrote:

> Most cards supported by patch_hdmi.c have the property of a 1:1 mapping
> or connection between converter widgets and pin widgets. Hence,
> patch_hdmi.c sets up a PCM for each converter, and occasionally performs
> some operations on the pin widget as required.
>
> However, some new cards don't have this 1:1 mapping. In particular, the
> new GeForce GT 520 and many future NVIDIA cards, and at least the Intel
> Ibex Peak (in my wife's laptop), have more pin widgets than converters,
> and each pin widget has a mux to select which converter to take the
> audio from.
>
> For pretty pictures, see the 4th (and 3rd) diagrams at:
>
> ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html#_examples

Wow, nice to see such a good document.

> I'd like to discuss how best to handle such cards.
>
> I'd expect to see a PCM device created for each pin widget. This would
> create a 1:1 mapping between PCM devices and attached monitors and hence
> ELD data (with the possible exception of DisplayPort 1.2 daisy-chaining;
> I have no idea yet how that plays into this).
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable approach to everyone?

Sounds reasonable and logical to me.
It won't break the older chips, and it will work with new chips.

> The current situation is that we only create a PCM for each converter
> that is mux'd to a pin by default HW initialization. On both the GeForce
> 520 and Ibex Peak, this means that only 1 PCM gets created, since all
> pin widgets' muxes point at the first converter by default. This:
>
> a) Doesn't allow usage of both converters at once, since there's only 1
> PCM object.
>
> b) Ends up with up to 4 (in NVIDIA's case) pin widgets (and hence ELD
> information) logically associated with the PCM object. Hence, it'll be
> confusing for application to know what features they can really use on
> the PCM. In fact, ALSA actually only enforces the ELD of the first pin
> associated with the converter, and ignores the rest.
>
> The basic mechanics of a-PCM-per-pin would require hdmi_pcm_open to look
> at the list of converters, find one not in use by a stream, and then
> dynamically associate the converter with the stream, or fail the open if
> a converter was not available. We'd also need a custom close or cleanup
> function to "unassign" the converter from the PCM, and set
> hda_pcm_stream.nid to an invalid value.
>
> That might be easiest to implement if hda_pcm_stream.nid were to refer
> to the pin widget rather than the converter widget. However, I notice
> that some core code in hda_codec.c would be confused by this, so
> perhaps we'd better just have have hdmi_pcm_open use some other way to
> determine which stream object is associated with the pin. I suppose
> that it'd be pretty easy to set up a mapping from hda_pcm_stream to pin
> nid as part of generic_hdmi_build_pcms.

Yes, we can keep simply an array of pins corresponding to each
hda_pcm_stream.

(The reason hda_pcm_stream containing the audio-widget is that it's
 an interface to HD-audio controller.  For the controller side, it
 doesn't matter what is actual output.  Only the entry-point matters.)

> As an aside, this rather reminds me of the mux'ing that goes on inside
> codecs controlled by ASoC, although I don't think we need to expose this
> muxing to user-space in the case, but instead make it automatic as I
> outlined above.

Sounds OK.

thanks,