[alsa-devel] Driver debugging help: OSS emulation and different results

Mike Crowe drmikecrowe at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:22:11 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

I know this is vague, and probably not worthy of this list.  However, I'm
struggling with where to go next.

Here's the deal:

   - I have an embedded system where we have developed the soc driver, and
   it appears to be working fine
   - We have a VoIP library we are integrating, and only have object files
   and almost no support
   - The VoIP library uses OSS interface with our hardware
   - We validated our hardware using vrec/vplay, both OSS applications.
    They record and play fine (as does the ALSA arecord/aplay as well)
   - I have the output (playback) working on the VoIP library side, but the
   recording is choppy (though seems to be at the right frequency now)

So, what I need to do next is try and understand how the library is opening
OSS differently from vrec/vplay.  However, I'm not sure where to start.

Can somebody give me a high level pointer as to how to add some debugging
output to my system to capture what is different between these two sessions?
 Where should I start?

TIA
Mike