[alsa-devel] [RFC] Remove Alchemy OSS drivers?

Ralf Baechle ralf at linux-mips.org
Fri May 20 09:12:57 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 08:51:37AM +0200, Manuel Lauss wrote:

> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de> wrote:
> > At Fri, 20 May 2011 00:19:12 +0100,
> > Ralf Baechle wrote:
> >>
> >> OSS has very little if any useful life in it left for MIPS, at least from
> >> my perspective.  So I propose to remove the Au1550 driver - there is an
> >> ALSA replacement for it available.
> >
> > Even two variants available: one in ASoC driver and one in old ALSA
> > driver.
>
> The current ASoC code can replace sound/oss/au1550_ac97.c,
> but sound/mips/au1x00.c is for different (earlier) chips.  I wrote an ASoC
> variant of this a long time ago, but I can't test it on real hardware.

My immediate interest is to kill off sounds/oss/ on MIPS because
sound/oss/soundcard.c is fairly ISA centric and does not build for some
some MIPS systems with only half-arsed ISA support, that is no DMA support.

Manuel, I got a DBAu1250 board here and maybe I can find a DBAu1500
Zinfandel board under some dusty hardware pile; would that be suitable for
testing your work?

  Ralf