[alsa-devel] A plea for help on mixer support for Fast Track Ultra (8R)

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Wed May 18 19:51:29 CEST 2011

HI Felix,

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Felix Homann <linuxaudio at showlabor.de> wrote:
> I need some help again by someone who's more familiar with Alsa's inner
> working than I am. This might be you, Daniel ;-)
>
> I've attached a patch series that would add support for the mixer in
> M-Audio's Fast Track Ultra (8R) devices.
>
> BUT, it will break others!
>
> It will break others in that mixer controls will show up multiple times. The
> reason for this seems to be my ambitiuos calling of snd_usb_create_mixer()
> for quirked devices in card.c. To circumvent the problem of a control
> showing up multiple times, I check for duplicates in
> add_unique_control_to_empty_mixer() and skip controls already present.

Hmm, I'm not sure whether I understand what you're trying to do. You
want to add mixers that are not added by the generic driver? Then just
have a look how this is done for other devices, like for example for
the "Traktor Audio 10". Or do I miss your point?

As a general rule, let the check-patch.pl script that ships with the
kernel have a look at your patches, it will point out obvious coding
style issues and the like :)

Daniel