[alsa-devel] A plea for help on mixer support for Fast Track Ultra (8R)

Felix Homann linuxaudio at showlabor.de
Wed May 18 17:19:57 CEST 2011

Hi,

I need some help again by someone who's more familiar with Alsa's inner
working than I am. This might be you, Daniel ;-)

I've attached a patch series that would add support for the mixer in
M-Audio's Fast Track Ultra (8R) devices.

BUT, it will break others!

It will break others in that mixer controls will show up multiple times.
The reason for this seems to be my ambitiuos calling of
snd_usb_create_mixer() for quirked devices in card.c. To circumvent the
problem of a control showing up multiple times, I check for duplicates
in add_unique_control_to_empty_mixer() and skip controls already present.

This doesn't work for devices which are not using
add_unique_control_to_empty_mixer(), in other words *all* devices not
using my messy patch...

So, probably the best thing would be to have some kind of entry in
quirks-table.h to tell which device would need to be "mixerquirked" to
prevent other devices to be disturbed. How can this be done?

I would highly appreciate anybody coming up with a proper solution.

Kind regards,

Felix