[alsa-devel] Reported latency > buffersize and sometimes <0

Werner Van Belle werner at yellowcouch.org
Wed May 18 14:00:35 CEST 2011

Hello,

I recently started to check whether the new alsa drivers still work with
BpmDj (http://bpmdj.yellowcouch.org/). Thereby I encountered the problem
that the reported latency might be larger than the buffersize itself.

I guess this has to do with the asynchronity between asking the question
and retrieving the answer (e.g: a thread switch might come in between
and the actual latency is in that case bumped beyond the buffersize.. or
so .. Does this reasoning make sense ? Can I assume that such weird
values are indeed correct ?

Another problem I sometimes encounter is that the returned latency is
-1; a very annoying number since the stream was truly honoustly playing,
so how can the latency be so low then ?

With kind regards,

Werner,-

--