[alsa-devel] GR-55 Driver

Jeffrey Scott Flesher Gmail jeffrey.scott.flesher at gmail.com
Wed May 18 07:24:10 CEST 2011

Answers to questions:

> Are you sure hw:1,0 refers to your GR-55? Check the entries in
/proc/asound/cards again, please.

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [U0x46d0x821    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x821
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x821 at usb-0000:00:12.2-1.1,
high speed
1 [GR55           ]: USB-Audio - GR-55
                      Roland GR-55 at usb-0000:00:12.2-4, high speed
2 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
                      HDA ATI SB at 0xf7ff4000 irq 16
3 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                      HDA NVidia at 0xfbcfc000 irq 19

Note that the position depends on if I start with the device on and
connected; as you see above, if I turn it on after startup; it becomes
number 3; but for all testing I always startup with it on.
***
> Can you try this with a 44100/16bit file?

# aplay -D plughw:GR55,0,0 test-441100-mono-16.wav
Playing WAVE 'test-441100-mono-16.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian,
Rate 44100 Hz, Mono

This did work, I can hear it in the GR-55 Headphone; but only once; it
locks up the GR-55 after completing, and I had to disconnect the power,
the on/off switch did not work; nor did the midi interface to the
instrument.

This may have been working all the time; since it only worked once, I
might have missed it; also both wav files worked (48 and 44 khz).

Sound Preference Matrix
Input   -- Output
GR-55   -- GR-55
***
> So you DO in fact get audio from the device then with some tool?

Only in Windoze (Vista x64 and Windows 7).
***
> For Windows, Midi-OX is a good tool to test with...

I did test Midi-OX in Windows, it worked fine.
I also was able to capture MIDI in Pro Guitar 6.
***
I tried http://gna.org/projects/gmidimonitor/ and KMidimon with no help
***
# amidi -l

Dir Device    Name

[Nothing]
Not sure what to use for X amidi --port hw:X,0 --dump

amidi --port hw:GR55,0 --dump
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC1D0
failed: Device or resource busy
cannot open port "hw:GR55,0": Device or resource busy

amidi --port hw:1,0 --dump
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC1D0
failed: Device or resource busy
cannot open port "hw:1,0": Device or resource busy

amidi --port hw:0,0 --dump
ALSA lib rawmidi_hw.c:233:(snd_rawmidi_hw_open) open /dev/snd/midiC0D0
failed: No such file or directory
cannot open port "hw:0,0": No such file or directory

***
I updated my troubleshooting file
http://vetshelpcenter.com/media/troubleshooting-gr-55.txt
It has a lot of information in it.
***
I was thinking about writing a tool to help troubleshoot MIDI and Audio
ALSA Driver issues with QT4 using Drumstick, do you think this would
help?

Do you know of any tools written with it?
http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/Drumstick?content=121300

I can reverse engineer this using Snoopy Pro
http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbsnoop/
Would that help?

What next?

Thanks