[alsa-devel] GR-55 Driver

Jeffrey Scott Flesher Gmail jeffrey.scott.flesher at gmail.com
Mon May 16 23:33:03 CEST 2011

Results:

# cat /proc/asound/card3/stream0
cat: /proc/asound/card3/stream0: No such file or directory
***
# alsamixer -D hw:GR55
This sound device does not have any controls.
***
# amixer -D hw:GR55 controls
[Nothing]
***
# cat /proc/asound/GR55/stream0
Roland GR-55 at usb-0000:00:12.2-4, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 0
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100
    Data packet interval: 125 us

Capture:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 4 IN (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100
    Data packet interval: 125 us
***
# cat /proc/asound/GR55/midi0
GR-55
***
# aplay -D plughw:GR55,0,0 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
[No sound]
***
I am facing two problems, I am unfamiliar with this piece of equipment
and as a result, I'm unsure how to test it.

Testing Audio function:
I tested it with Audacity in Windozes and it works;  in Linux I set it
up the same way: GR-55 USB Audio (hw:1,0) as recording device; no sound.
Using Logitech Webcam software I can record the guitar output; Using
Cheese, I do not get Audio.

Testing MIDI function:
I'm going to call tech support on this one; I have not found a Windows
app that seems to work with the MIDI; so I can not expect to test this
in Linux yet; I would like to be able to convert notes into sheet music;
I tried TuxGuitar, but must admit I don't know how to get it to work
with MIDI input, or if it even does.

So far I have not been impressed with how this device works in Windows;
asking questions at forums I get users say to use Windows, I have no
idea why, the quality was not that good.

I must say it works great with just the headphones connected to the
device.

I'm thinking about getting M-Audio Fast track pro to provide an input
for the GR-55 as well as my NTG-1 mic; can you tell me the status of the
driver for this unit; I have seen talk about the driver here, but not
sure if the Fast track, and fast track pro are the same, or if this unit
will even work with the GR-55, I have ask at other forums and have
gotten no reply.

I'm going to keep on this till I get it 100%; I have patience; lets hope
you do too.

Thanks
Jeff