[alsa-devel] Alsa Support for Korg Pandora Mini, Vox ToneLab ST

Daniel Mack zonque at gmail.com
Mon May 16 08:48:11 CEST 2011

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Grant Diffey <gdiffey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Daniel Mack <zonque at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Attached is a patch that adds some debug output. If you could apply
>> that and report what the kernel logs during the probe of the device,
>> that would be appreciated.
>>

> Nothing is leaping out at me after building with he patch above...

Ok, so the reason is clear now to me and it has to do with the way the
device is matched by the driver. Basically, the only thing the drivers
matches on is a standard audio control interface. If that is found,
the USB core calls it to handle that specific interface. Once a
control header is found, it is iterated and MIDI devices are created
when a specific interface associated to the control header is found.

The problem in your case is that the device is matched with a
USB_DEVICE() macro now with no further hints in the quirks table,
which makes the USB core hand over the whole device to the driver, and
not individual interfaces. Because the assumption is that if a driver
announces to handle the whole thing, it knows what it's doing.

In the USB audio driver though, we handle that case by defining a fix
behaviour, which is that only interfaces listed in the quirk are
actually being looked at.

In earlier versions of the driver, the whole quirk for this device was
missing, and hence the last, more generic quirk to look for
MIDI_STREAMING interfaces was applied (the last one in
quirks-table.h). Hence it worked back then but not today.

The solution is most probably rather simple by handling the Fasttrack
as composite device that has non-standard and standard interfaces
mixed. There is a macro for that which we just need to use.

Can you give the attached patch a change?

HTH,
Daniel