[alsa-devel] GR-55 Driver

Jeffrey Scott Flesher Gmail jeffrey.scott.flesher at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:20:48 CEST 2011

I need a Driver for the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesizer, not sure how to
get started, so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

The GR-55 has MIDI and AUDIO

KSNAME_Wo11="WaveOut1-1"
WDM.Wo11.szPname="OUT (GR-55)"

KSNAME_Wi11="WaveIn1-1"
WDM.Wi11.szPname="IN (GR-55)"

KSNAME_Md11="Midi1-1"
WDM.Md11.szPname="GR-55"

My thinking is that there may be a driver that is similar, or someone
could already be working on a driver, if so, I would like to find out if
I could work on that project or if I could start a new project here.

I did contact Roland about getting help in the way of Documentation; but
was told not to count on it since most of this documentation is
proprietary; so I might end up having to snoop the information to
reverse engineer it.

I have been a programmer for over 30 years, and have written Unix
drivers and interfaces back in the 80's; things have changed since then
and Linux is Unix like, but ALSA seems a lot easier than what we did
back in those days. I can get up to speed with just a point in the right
direction. Things like do I do this as a driver or a module? Are just a
few questions that I need answers to, just to get started.

Can you recommend a driver that is close enough to use as a template to
start a new driver from?

Thanks.

Jeff Flesher