[alsa-devel] Multistreaming Playback using Front Panel Headphone with realtek codec

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 08:42:45 CEST 2011

2011/5/9 Takashi Iwai <tiwai at suse.de>

> At Sat, 7 May 2011 11:48:19 +0800,
> Raymond Yau wrote:

> is
> > >
> > > Yeah, I know.  But this name is confusing, so better to change in
> > > patch_via.c as well.
> > >

> > > Takashi
> > >

> > To force pulseaudio to get the correct subdevice for via codec, you may
> need
> > to add "subdevice 0" to HDA-intel.conf
> >
> > since subdevice 0 support multichannel but subdevice 1 only support
> stereo
> >

> >     playback.pcm {
> >         type softvol
> >         slave.pcm {
> >             type hw
> >             card $CARD
> > +          subdevice 0
> >         }
> >         control {
> >             name "PCM Playback Volume"
> >             card $CARD
> >         }
> >     }
>
> OK, fixed now.  Thanks.
>

> Takashi

But dmix still fail and you cannot use dmix with subdevice 1

>> I'd name it differently, e.g. "Headphone Stream Mode" taking "Slave" and
"Independent", or such.  An enum with "ON" and "OFF" is no sensible choice.

The main point is how can the user find out which subdevice or device is
used for "Headphone Stream"

Neither "aplay -l " nor "aplay -L' provide any useful information to the
user

APLAY

card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1

ARECORD

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708S Analog [VT1708S Analog]
  Subdevices: 2/2
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1