[alsa-devel] Connecting a codec to an i2c codec driver.

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 01:40:54 CET 2011

Hi,

I have a beagleboard xm and have a trainer board installed, so that adds another i2c bus, which with some platform tweaks I now have as /dev/i2c-2

I can use i2ctools and i2cdump my codec on that i2c bus, connected up on the platform data stuff.

I can modprobe the driver (in this case snd_soc_max98088), and no alsa "cards" or other linkages are established.

I got the i2c_probe routine to finally be called when I set the driver name to match the platform name:

static struct i2c_board_info __initdata beagle_i2c_trainer_boardinfo[] = {
	{
		I2C_BOARD_INFO("max98088", 0x10),
		.flags = I2C_CLIENT_WAKE,
		.irq = INT_34XX_SYS_NIRQ,
		.platform_data =&beagle_twldata,
	},
};

But then my max98088 probe routine was never called.

1) Is there a way to connect the i2c bus to a codec driver without having it built in the platform code?

2) What is the proper way to connect using a platform connection with multiple i2c buses and devices?

Thanks, Steve