[alsa-devel] Asus E35M1-M Pro and Realtek AL887-VD - no love from ALSA for Sourround

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 17 22:55:04 CET 2011

Dear Wojciech,

please do not hijack threads [1]. Using Mozilla Thunderbird you can
easily compose a new message to a certain addressee by clicking on the
address <alsa-devel at alsa-project.org> in any of the messages.

Am Donnerstag, den 17.03.2011, 06:32 +0100 schrieb Wojciech Myrda:

> I recently purchased Asus e35M1-M Pro

OT: How do you like it? Any reviews you found useful on the WWW?

> and I would like to get souround sound going from my 5.1 system. I
> have it connected accordingly to the manual (line in - rear speakers,
> line out - front speaker, mic in - bass/center) but anywy I try that
> is using guides like http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Surround_Sound
> I am not able to get sound from any other speaker then front left and
> right one. Alsamixer does not show any devices as shared to be
> available to switch to the output from input
>
> speaker-test plays every file in the left and right front speaker at the
> same time
>
> Here is my system information using  2.6.38-rc8-git3
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=0dd55b4640a8afff1552c4d0be0105e416ad1cf3
> and 2.6.38-rc8-next-20110314
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=a8733bf0083929540948f51b5f33d9c8a62d9994

Please additionally attach those files next time, since the developers
(I think at least Takashi) prefer it.

> My question is what should I try next?

If I understood it correctly it does not work yet [2]. If this explains
the issue for you please update [3] and you could also submit a report
to the Gentoo bug tracking system (BTS). Maybe some developer will
implement this. You could also figure out if there exists a ticket in
the Kernel BTS and submit a feature request or, if it already exists,
follow up there.

Thanks and good luck,

Paul

[1] http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Mailing_list_netiquette