[alsa-devel] Destruction of the sound after prolonged output

Максим subjucha at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 18:59:46 CET 2011

Hi,
My name is Max. I've got some problems using ALSA, a certain type of
destruction of sound appears after a prolonged sound output. The destruction
is like "bit crush", stutterings, interruptions, etc. Once started, it no
longer stops. It starts almost always but only after a prolonged sound
output, nearby 24 hours. To reproduce it shurely I use my test wav file and
standard speaker-test utility with following options:
speaker-test -t wav -w test.wav -r 16000
I've attached test.wav to this mail.

To reproduce this I use a fresh minimal installation of Ubuntu 10.10,
command line only, with standard Ubuntu 2.6.35 generic kernel. Minimal
installation is made by installing Ubuntu from an "alternate" version of the
installation CD. It provide option "command line minimal install" that allow
install only base system with command line. So there isn't any desktop
applications like Gnome, Pulseaudio, etc. I've used standard Ubuntu package
of ALSA with version 1.0.23, and also with compiled 1.0.24.

I've tried to reproduce this behavior on Centos and Fedora (both in single
mode, command line only) with Intel HDA chipset, and on Ubuntu with a
Realtek chipset. The results was the same, sound destruction after a day of
sound output.

Above is the output of speaker-test with parameters:
speaker-test -d -c 2 -t wav
Before this command my sound test was used during about 6 hours to reproduce
the sound destruction:
speaker-test -t wav -w test.wav -r 16000

Plug PCM: Linear conversion PCM (S32_LE)
Its setup is:
  stream : PLAYBACK
  access : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format : S16_LE
  subformat : STD
  channels : 2
  rate : 48000
  exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits : 16
  buffer_size : 16384
  period_size : 1024
  period_time : 21333
  tstamp_mode : NONE
  period_step : 1
  avail_min : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold : 16384
  stop_threshold : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary : 1073741824
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Its setup is:
  stream : PLAYBACK
  access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format : S32_LE
  subformat : STD
  channels : 2
  rate : 48000
  exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits : 32
  buffer_size : 16384
  period_size : 1024
  period_time : 21333
  tstamp_mode : NONE
  period_step : 1
  avail_min : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold : 16384
  stop_threshold : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary : 1073741824
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
  stream : PLAYBACK
  access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format : S32_LE
  subformat : STD
  channels : 2
  rate : 48000
  exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits : 32
  buffer_size : 16384
  period_size : 1024
  period_time : 21333
  tstamp_mode : NONE
  period_step : 1
  avail_min : 1024
  period_event : 0
  start_threshold : 16384
  stop_threshold : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary : 1073741824
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA Intel' device 0 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream : PLAYBACK
  access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format : S32_LE