[alsa-devel] how to create alsa nodes?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Mar 17 15:26:32 CET 2011

loody wrote:
> In destop x86 system, the udev will automatically create the nodes in
> snd directory, such as pcmC0D0c, pcmC0D1c, etc.
> I try to let the usb sound device work on mips platform, but I have no
> idea what is the proper way to create these nodes.
> Should I
> 1. create them one by one by hand  from copying the attributes in my PC
>     (if I have 2 or more usb sound devices, I have to first plug them
> in pc and monitor the nodes)

This will not work if the device nodes' minor numbers are allocated
dynamically.

> 2. smarter way to do so?

GregKH would tell you that the smart way would be to run udev.  ;-)

To use static device nodes,
1) make sure that CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS is disabled,
2) use the snddevices script in the alsa-driver package.

Regards,
Clemens