[alsa-devel] codec power question

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Tue Mar 15 14:25:43 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 05:57:27PM +0530, Koul, Vinod wrote:

> In andriod, flinger opens the streams at boot and keeps them ON, and
> doesn't close the stream when in idle.
> Since the stream in ON, codec consumes lot of power, I was wondering if
> we have something in asoc to detect this kind of state and do much
> better power control.

Ah, this is just a plain userspace bug in the default ALSA thing that
went up on the Android git - there's no way sensible way to figure out
that userspace is playing silence because it's being silly.

The Nexus S libaudio does a better job here though it has its own issues
due to the integration with the non-mainline CODEC driver they're using.