[alsa-devel] radio-maestro broken (conflicts with snd-es1968)

Ondrej Zary linux at rainbow-software.org
Mon Mar 14 11:28:01 CET 2011

On Monday 14 March 2011, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > At Sat, 12 Mar 2011 19:52:39 +0100,
> >
> > Hans Verkuil wrote:
> >>
> >> radio on

> >> sound

> >> driver is

> >> probably

> >> delete

> >> Interesting. I don't know anyone among the video4linux developers who
> >> has
> >> this hardware, so the radio-maestro driver hasn't been tested in at
> >> least
> >> 6 or 7 years.
> >>
> >> The proper fix would be to do it like the fm801.c alsa driver does: have
> >> the radio functionality as an i2c driver. In fact, it would not surprise
> >> me at all if you could use the tea575x-tuner.c driver (in
> >> sound/i2c/other)
> >> for the es1968 and delete the radio-maestro altogether.
> >
> > I guess simply porting radio-maestro codes into snd-es1968 would work
> > without much hustles, and it's a bit safe way to go for now; smaller
> > changes have less chance for breakage, and as little people seem using
> > this driver, it'd be better to take a safer option, IMO.
>
> I assume someone has hardware since someone reported this breakage. So try
> to use tuner-tea575x for the es1968. It shouldn't be too difficult.
> Additional cleanup should probably wait until we find a tester for the
> fm801 as well.

I have the hardware - both ES1968 (SF64-PCE2-04) and FM801 cards (SF64-PCR)
with these tuners. I remember fixing mute in tea5757x-tuner back in 2009
(testing it on SF64-PCR).

> I don't like the idea to duplicate code.

I don't like that either. I've done a quick hack - copied radio support from
fm801 and radio_bits_get() and radio_bits_set() from radio-maestro to es1968
and it seems to basically work.
Now I just need some more time to finish it, then move everything good from
radio-maestro to tea575x-tuner and delete radio-maestro.

IIRC, the TEA5757 tuner is also present on at least one ISA radio card -
SF16-FMR2 (which I also have).

--
Ondrej Zary