[alsa-devel] HDA: Problem with sound becoming corrupted

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Wed Mar 9 16:10:18 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been dealing with this issue for several months (from memory I'm
pretty sure it's affected me since 2.6.36, possibly before, but I'll
have to do some deeper digging to say for sure).

The problem is that the sound suddenly goes nuts and starts sounding
awful. It's like some buffer pointer is just a little bit out for some
reason.

I can fix the issue by closing and reopening the PCM device (as I use
PA, this is just a simple "pasuspender echo" away).

The problem is very easy to reproduce - it happens about 20+ times a day
to me - to the extent that I have added a panel launcher with the above fix.

We discussed this issue during the meeting but it seems not to be a PA
problem (my other PA devices work fine FWIW - various USB things etc,
and recording from the monitor source when the sound is odd also records
good sounds).

You can hear the sounds here (recorded via mic):
http://colin.guthr.ie/weird-sound/

And our discussion is here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/meetings/pulseaudio-meeting/2011/pulseaudio-meeting.2011-02-24-21.02.log.html#l-409

My alsa-info is here:
http://colin.guthr.ie/alsa-info.txt

This mail is really just about finding out if this is a known problem? I
know others suffer from the same problem too as I've had bug reports
confirming this.

Cheers

Col
--